[ovirt-users] New post on oVirt blog: Introducing High Performance Virtual Machines

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Tue Oct 31 13:11:03 UTC 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 2:25 PM, FERNANDO FREDIANI <
fernando.frediani at upx.com> wrote:

> Hi.
> Does the virtualization layer causes any significant impact in the VM
> performance, even a high CPU VM that justify the use of this feature ?

Depends on your definition of 'significant' and on the workload. Certainly
enabling huge pages, NUMA setting and removal of some unneeded devices can
help some workloads.

> DPDK for sure is a fantastic feature for networking environments.

A bit over-rated, for most workloads, if you ask me...
Currently requires a bit too much configuration (in my opinion), but
certainly there are workloads who critically need it.
Y.