[ovirt-users] Storage slowly expanding

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Fri Sep 1 12:45:36 UTC 2017

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 8:41 AM, Jim Kusznir <jim at palousetech.com> wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I have several VMs, all thin provisioned, on my small storage (self-hosted
> gluster / hyperconverged cluster).  I'm now noticing that some of my VMs
> (espicially my only Windows VM) are using even MORE disk space than the
> blank it was allocated.
>
> Example: windows VM: virtual size created at creation: 30GB (thin
> provisioned).  Actual disk space in use: 19GB.  According to the storage ->
> Disks tab, its currently using 39GB.  How do I get that down?
>
> I have two other VMs that are somewhat heavy DB load (Zabbix and Unifi);
> both of those are also larger than their created max size despite disk in
> machine not being fully utilized.
>
> None of these have snapshots.

How come you have qcow2 and not raw-sparse, if you are not using snapshots?
is it a VM from a template?

Generally, this is how thin provisioning works. The underlying qcow2
doesn't know when you delete a file from within the guest - as file
deletion is merely marking entries in the file system tables as free, not
really doing any deletion IO.
You could run virt-sparsify on the disks to sparsify them, which will, if
the underlying storage supports it, reclaim storage space.
You could use IDE or virtio-SCSI and enable DISCARD support, which will, if
the underlying storage supports it, reclaim storage space.

Those are not exclusive, btw.
Y.