[ovirt-users] ovirt high points

Yaniv Kaul ykaul at redhat.com
Thu Sep 7 11:54:17 UTC 2017

On Thu, Sep 7, 2017 at 2:33 PM, david caughey <djc636 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm giving a demo of our new 3 node oVirt deployment next week and am
> looking for some high points that I can give to the Managers that will be a
> sell point.

Good luck!

> If you could help with the below questions I would really appreciate it:
>
> Who are the big users of oVirt??

There are many. We don't have a lot of user cases on ovirt.org, but there
are many universities, for example.

> Why oVirt and not vMware??
> (we are a big vMware house so free doesn't cover it)

Is VMware free? Or open? Can you fix bugs or add features to it?
I'm (VERY) biased, but I think ease of use, performance (especially of
Linux VMs) and breadth of integration are the main key points.

> What is the future for oVirt??

4.2 Alpha is just around the corner, with new UI and plenty features. Any
area specifically?

> Why do you use oVirt??

I know some use it for server virtualization, some for desktop
virtualization. I think more for the former than the latter.
An IAAS for containers based solutions (such as Kubernetes, OpenShift) is
also a strong initiative recently.
It is definitely used for used at any scale - from a home lab, 3 nodes
hyper-converged to enterprise, with hundreds of hosts for mission critical,
highly available services.

> Any links or ideas appreciated,

I think such presentation would be more successful if it hit the needs of
the recipients. What are their current pain points? Where would they like
to be tomorrow?
Y.