[ovirt-users] vmware ova import problem

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Tue Sep 12 10:44:18 UTC 2017

> On 11 Sep 2017, at 14:12, Jiří Sléžka <jiri.slezka at slu.cz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> today I tested vmware ova import for first time but unfortunately it
> failed. (btw. it would be great to have a possibility to upload ova
> directly from manager…)

in 4.1 you can only upload qcow disks, in future we will support complete OVA (native oVirt’s OVA’s though)

> problem seems to be this (vdsm/import log)

> libguestfs: trace: v2v: inspect_get_type = "linux"
>                               i_root = /dev/sda1
>                                                              i_type =
> linux
>                      i_distro = debian
>                                                     i_arch = i386
>
>           i_major_version = 9
>                                          i_minor_version = 0
>
> i_package_format = deb
>                               i_package_management = apt
>
> i_product_name = 9.0
>                               i_product_variant = unknown
>                                                              i_uefi =
> false

> [  13.7] Converting 9.0 to run on KVM
>                               virt-v2v: error: virt-v2v is unable to
> convert this guest type
> (linux/debian)
>                               rm -rf '/var/tmp/ova.lB3mEN'
>                                                              rm -rf
> '/var/tmp/null.kaX2uZ'
>
> so is debian really unsupported to be imported fom vmware ova?

it is supported only in libguestfs 1.36+ which is released in EL 7.4

> I believe this vm could run as is, even without v2v convert.
>
> It would be nice to have a possibility to bypass v2v process and import
> appliance as is, just disk(s) and vm definition. Does it make sense?

the disk needs conversion, as well as changes to be able to boot (that’s the part originally missing for debina-based guests)

Thanks,
michal