[ovirt-users] Engine Backup/Restore Question

Alan Griffiths apgriffiths79 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 15 12:04:47 UTC 2017

Hi,

Currently testing my recovery plan for HE failure.

I run a hosted engine, but in the event of some failure of the engine VM i
want to be able to quickly restore the engine to a standalone host running
independent of Ovirt (in this case a VM running on ESXi).

On a dry run I restore the backup onto the ESXi VM and run engine-setup. At
this point it fails with an error that I am not in Global Maintenance mode.

If I put the cluster into maintenance mode before performing the backup
then it works correctly. So is it necessary to do this on every backup? I
can find nothing in the documentation detailing this as a requirement?

Alternatively it seems I can manually update the ha_global_maintenance
column in the vds_statistics table before running engine-setup, but not
sure of the implications of doing this.

ovirt-4.0.6.3

Thanks,

Alan