[ovirt-users] Huge pages in guest with newer oVirt versions

Arik Hadas ahadas at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 20:33:15 UTC 2017

On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 10:50 PM, Martin Polednik <mpoledni at redhat.com>
wrote:

> The hugepages are no longer a hook, but part of the code base. They

can be configured via engine property `hugepages`, where the value of
> property is size of the pages in KiB (1048576 = 1G, 2048 = 2M).

Note that the question is about 4.1 and it doesn't seem like this change
was backported to the 4.1 branch, right?

> Specifying any other size not supported by the architecture (or just
> "1") will use platform's default hugepage size.

I wonder if the end-to-end scenario, i.e., using the engine, of this ever
worked.
This feature is broken on the master branch because of the switch to engine
xml and is supposed to be fixed by [1]. However, while testing that fix I
noticed that a check done by the scheduler [2] actually prevents us from
setting a value that is not supported by the host.
Is this part really important?

[1] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/81860/
[2]
https://github.com/oVirt/ovirt-engine/blob/master/backend/manager/modules/bll/src/main/java/org/ovirt/engine/core/bll/scheduling/policyunits/HugePagesFilterPolicyUnit.java#L56