[ovirt-users] Fwd: PFSense VLAN Trunking

LukeFlynn lukehflynn at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 21:20:34 UTC 2017

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: LukeFlynn <lukehflynn at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 5:15 PM
Subject: Re: [ovirt-users] PFSense VLAN Trunking
To: FERNANDO FREDIANI <fernando.frediani at upx.com>

Good news, I found a way to trunk vlans!

I couldn't get it working with native linux bridges, instead I opted to
migrate my ovirt cluster to use OpenVSwitch instead (which is what
XenServer is using among others). The default behavior of untagged OVS
networks is to trunk all, so I simply had to create an untagged network on
the same interface (or bond) as the tagged network and pass the untagged to
pfsense. This didn't work with native bridging, but works as expected with
OVS. Good news is that network throughput is great, I'm able to get full
gigabit speeds! Just make sure you disable tx offloading in the PFSense web
gui.

There are a couple of gotchas when switching a cluster to OVS:

1.) It doesn't appear to be fully automated just yet (support is
experimental)
2.) You must manually enable and start the openvswitch.service
3.) I had to manually tear down all of the network configuration VDSM did,
and basically set the host networking up from scratch in the web UI after
moving the cluster to OVS.

Hope this helps some folks!

Luke