[ovirt-users] Is it possible to recover from a failed Engine host?

~Stack~ i.am.stack at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:03:53 UTC 2018

Greetings,

I have a dev environment where it seems the hard drive on our Engine
host kicked the bucket (Yeah, I know. Smartmon. I watch it closely on
the systems I care about - this was a learning environment for me so I
didn't).

The Hypervisors are fine and the VM's running on the Hypervisors are
fine...But I can't manage any of the Hypervisors. To make things a bit
more tricky, the SQL and the backups were on the drive that died. I
really don't have anything from that host. It's dev. I can rebuild. But
it is also a learning environment for me so might as well use this to learn.

Is it possible for me to build a new Engine host and attach it to an
existing hypervisor environment? Better yet, would this be something I
could do as a hosted-engine-deploy? (something I haven't experimented
with yet.)

Again, this is a play ground so if it goes horrifically wrong...oh well.
But I would really like to try to recover it for the learning
experience. I've been poking around in the documentation but I haven't
seen anything that seems to address this issue directly.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
~Stack~