[ovirt-users] Remote DB: How do you set server_version?

Jamie Lawrence jlawrence at squaretrade.com
Wed May 2 20:26:45 UTC 2018

I've been down this road. Postgres won't lie about its version for you.  If you want to do this, you have to patch the Ovirt installer[1]. I stopped trying to use my PG cluster at some point -  the relationship between the installer and the product combined with the overly restrictive requirements baked into the installer[2]) makes doing so  an ongoing hassle. So I treat Ovirt's PG as an black box; disappointing, considering that we are a very heavy PG shop with a lot of expertise and automation I can't use with Ovirt.

If nothing has changed (my notes are from a few versions ago), everything you need to correct is in

/usr/share/ovirt-engine/setup/ovirt_engine_setup/engine_common/constants.py

Aside from the version, you'll also have to make the knobs for vacuuming match those of your current installation, and I think there was another configurable for something else I'm not remembering right now.

Be aware that doing so is accepting an ongoing commitment to monkeying with the installer a lot. At one time I thought doing so was the right tradeoff, but it turns out I  was wrong.

-j

[1] Or you could rebuild PG with a fake version. That option was unavailable here.
[2] Not criticizing, just stating a technical fact. How folks apportion their QA resources is their business.