[ovirt-users] newbie questions on networking

Rue, Randy randyrue at gmail.com
Thu May 3 16:30:17 UTC 2018

Hi Again,

I'm not sure if my first post yesterday went through, I can see it in
the list archives but I didn't receive a copy and I've confirmed my list
settings include me getting a copy of my own posts. In any case, nobody
has replied and unless I'm the only guy that needs my VMs to talk to the
rest of the world I assume someone else knows how to fix this.

I've read and re-read the Quick Start Guide, Installation Guide and
Administration Guide even though they appear to describe an earlier
version. If I've overlooked the answer and this is an RTFM issue, feel
free to tell me so but I'd be grateful if you'd also tell me exactly
which part of the FM to read.

Again, my VM is getting an IP address and nameserver settings from the
DHCP service running on the server room subnet the oVirt host sits in.
 From the Vm, I can ping the static IP of the host the vm is on, but not
anything else on the server room subnet including the other hosts or the
subnet's gateway. The "route" command sits for about 10 seconds before
completing but eventually shows two rows, one for default with the
correct local gateway and one for the local subnet. All appears to be
well on the VM, the problem appears to be the host is not passing traffic.

The dialogue for the interface on the host shows some logos on the
ovirtmgmt network that's assigned to it, including a green "VM" tile. Is
this the "outside" role for commodity connections to a VM?

I've also spent some time rooting around different parts of the admin
interface and found some settings under the ovirtmgmt network's vNIC
Profiles for the "Network Filter." Tried changing that to "allow IPv4"
and then to "No Network Filter" with no change.

I hope to hear from you soon.

randy in Seattle