[ovirt-users] oVirt messages from engine to vdsm

Anastasiya Ruzhanskaya anastasiya.ruzhanskaya at frtk.ru
Sat May 5 10:07:23 UTC 2018

Hello everyone!
Currently I want to determine what information is included in messages
passing from oVirt engine to VDSM on ovirt-node.

I made up a really simple configuration with one VM representing engine,
another - node, a managed to successfully  launch a single VM on this node.
However, I have chosen to configure everything automatically. Currently
traffic is encrypted with default certificates.
So, there are three options for me and no one of them really works.

1) Find the format of messages ( what the fields are, session id for
example) in docs, but I didn't  manage to find it;
2) Use wireshark to decrypt the traffic and the apply maybe a json
-dissector to the decrypted data. I have tried many solutions ( thanks god
I have rsa private and public keys but there is another session key which
is generated every time engine starts to communicate with vdsm, which I
cannot get with the help of sslkeylog file or ld_preload technology.
Maybe someone knows the exact methodology how to do this correctly?

3) Turn off ssl in oVirt. It is simple to do that for vdsm, but for engine,
according to answers on oVirt site, I should do 2 requests to the database.
I was really surprised that psql was not installed by oVirt on my system.
How did it then created a default database? ( I have chosen to create all
locally and with default configurations).
I mean these two commands :
https://www.ovirt.org/develop/developer-guide/vdsm/connecting-development-vdsm-to-engine/
. I have a following error there :
psql: FATAL: Peer authentication failed for user "engine"

Could you please guide my what method is the best and how should I correct
my faults there?