[Qemu-devel] Guest Agent Summaries

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Dec 6 04:21:54 UTC 2011

On 12/05/2011 04:36 PM, Michael Roth wrote:
> On 12/05/2011 01:21 PM, Chris Wright wrote:
>> * Chris Wright (chrisw at redhat.com) wrote:
>>>
>>> I think we did this once before w/ Matahari.  Can we please capture
>>> these things in email before the call, so people actually have time
>>> to ponder the details.

>>> Same here...call this the abstract/intro of the above detailed list of
>>> verbs and guest support, and send it by Friday this week.
>>>
>>> I know there's plenty of details buried in the current thread and old
>>> discussions of Matahari.  But that's just it...buried...
>>
>> It's past Friday.  Barak's links are all we have so far...
>
> Sorry this slipped by me. However, Barak's link to the guest agent
> proposals:
>
> http://www.ovirt.org/wiki/Guest_agent_proposals
>
> is a summary of the recent discussion on guest agents for oVirt from the
> following thread:
>
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.emulators.ovirt.vdsm.devel/93/focus=93
>
> Requirements were posted there for oVirt (ovirt-guest-agent), QEMU
> (qemu-ga), and Spice (vdagent) and pulled into wiki, so as far as
> requirements go that is probably the best summary available at the
> moment. There is also summary of the current proposals for how to go
> about leveraging ovirt-guest-agent or qemu-ga for oVirt/QEMU requirements.
>
> Matahari was mentioned only in brief since it didn't come up much in
> that particular discussion, but feel free to add as a response to this
> email and I can add it to the wiki so we can start getting all this
> stuff in one place.

Matahari really isn't a candidate for a lightweight guest agent for
virtualization because of the heavy dependency chain.  So it's not
really in contention with ovirt guest agent or qemu guest agent.

Matahari will continue to be developed for general systems management
functionality, but it doesn't need to be further considered for this
specific usage.