converging around a single guest agent

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 19:55:59 UTC 2011

On 11/15/2011 02:13 PM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

> Matahari is a can be bound to any agent, i.e. it adds transport,
> security etc etc so is not an exclusive or discussion. It can be seen as
> an encapsulation.

Yes, but when we discussed matahari in the context of a ubiquitous
lightweight virt agent (for both libvirt/qemu/oVirt) it was rejected due
to complexity and dependencies.

Our thinking was that matahari should not be required for core
functionality for qemu/libvirt/oVirt, but can instead be used in
conjunction with the lightweight guest agent/transport to provide higher
level mgmt functionality

Here's a quick flow of the Matahari path from guest to host, and why
it's too complex to be suitable for these use cases:

QMF Guest Agent(s) <QMF> Guest qpid Broker <QMF> Guest VIOS Proxy <QMF
over virtio-serial> Host VIOS Proxy <QMF> Host qpid Broker <QMF> QMF
Host Console

Compare that to:

ovirt-guest-agent <JSON over virtio-serial> vdsm

qemu-guest agent <JSON over virtio-serial> qemu <QMP API> libvirtd

Perry