oVirt 3.1 targeted release platform

Mike Burns mburns at redhat.com
Wed Apr 4 16:11:58 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-04 at 12:00 -0400, Ofer Schreiber wrote:
> As discussed today in oVirt sync meeting (http://ovirt.org/meetings/ovirt/2012/ovirt.2012-04-04-15.01.log.html), upstream VDSM doesn't work anymore on Fedora 16 due to a missing libvirt dependency.
>
> This issue raises an important question - which platform we're trying to target?
> Since oVirt is a (very) layered product, I think we can't avoid setting a target platform for every oVirt release, and keep all the different components aligned with it.
>
> Getting back to the next release- I'm suggesting Fedora 17 as our common platform.
> According to https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/17/Schedule, Fedora 17 release date is the 15th of May, which align with the schedule for oVirt 3.1 (www.ovirt.org/wiki/Second_Release).

We should definitely settle on one recommended option for the release.
Going to F17 completely is one option, but there are a couple others.

There is a virt-preview repo that contains newer version of some
virtualization components.  So things like the newest libvirt would be
available on F16.  We can still support F16 and just require this be
available.  This may work, but it opens us up to possible problems with
f17 packages not working quite right on f16.

We can pull the F17 packages into our own ovirt.org repo as a hybrid
repo of f16+selected f17 packages.  This has a similar issue in that we
could run into problems with F17 packages on F16.

IMHO, I think we should just move completely to F17.  There is risk that
F17 doesn't ship when they plan to, or that we hit issues with other F17
packages that we're not expecting.  There is also the question of
upgrades.  Everything is F16 based now, if we require f17, what is the
upgrade path.

One other thing to consider is whether we can support Engine running on
F16 or F17 since it doesn't need vdsm running locally and require F17 on
ovirt-node or Fedora vdsm hosts.

Mike