ovirt-engine deployment method

Ofer Schreiber oschreib at redhat.com
Tue Apr 17 13:20:49 UTC 2012

As decided earlier, oVirt next release (3.1) is targeted for Fedora 17.
Since the engine uses JBoss, we have two deployment options:
1. Continue working with ovirt-engine-jbossas package
   PROS: Single rpm. known upgrade method.
   CONS: Maintaining un-natural zip based rpm. No official support. Can't be pushed into Fedora.

2. Move to JBoss F17 official packages:
   PROS: Fully supported F17 rpms (including bug fixes, security fixes, etc). "The right thing to do".
   CONS: Upgrade from first release (relaying on old jboss) will be almost impossible, Some open issues (will it work just as as normal service? or will we need to code a new one?), Might cause a delay to Feature Freeze.

Thought? Comments?
Share them with us!
---
Ofer Schreiber