[Engine-devel] ovirt-engine deployment method

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Wed Apr 18 09:17:30 UTC 2012

On 17/04/12 16:20, Ofer Schreiber wrote:
> As decided earlier, oVirt next release (3.1) is targeted for Fedora 17.
> Since the engine uses JBoss, we have two deployment options:
> 1. Continue working with ovirt-engine-jbossas package
>    PROS: Single rpm. known upgrade method.
>    CONS: Maintaining un-natural zip based rpm. No official support. Can't be pushed into Fedora.
>
> 2. Move to JBoss F17 official packages:
>    PROS: Fully supported F17 rpms (including bug fixes, security fixes, etc). "The right thing to do".
>    CONS: Upgrade from first release (relaying on old jboss) will be almost impossible, Some open issues (will it work just as as normal service? or will we need to code a new one?), Might cause a delay to Feature Freeze.
>
> Thought? Comments?

I think it is too soon to move to the Jboss packaged for Fedora17.
It was just packaged and I am not aware of any developer actually
working with oVirt on the Jboss packaged for Fedora (except for one).
I expect to at least have the developers working with this Jboss for a
while before releasing on it.

Can anyone provide info on how different is Jboss for Fedora than the
current upstream Jboss we use?