[Engine-devel] Jar versions in ovirt-engine

Doron Fediuck dfediuck at redhat.com
Thu Apr 19 10:00:51 UTC 2012

On 18/04/12 14:04, Juan Hernandez wrote:
> On 04/18/2012 09:51 AM, Ofer Schreiber wrote:
>> Ever wondered why the version of oVirt's first release is 3.0.0_0001?
>> The answer is simple - We use ovirt-engine jar's version as our "main" release version.
>>
>> Personally, I think the current versioning scheme is ugly. Actually, I can't name even one open-source project using "_" in it's version.
>>
>> What can we do about it? We have couple of options:
>> 1. Leave the engine alone, and use a separate versioning scheme (e.g - use just 3.1.0 as the main version for next release)
>> 2. Remove "_" from engine jars
>> 3. Do nothing.
>>
>> I'd like to hear your thoughts, as well as the reasons to use such an unusual versioning scheme.
>>
>> ---
>> Ofer Schreiber
>> oVirt Release Manager
>
> From my point of view using the 0001 suffix in the names of the jar
> files is not a big problem, but I agree that using it in the release
> number is ugly, and it produces issues/discussions during packaging. I
> vote for option #1: use 3.1.0 for the next main version.

The original versioning scheme was due to a bug in maven2.

Juan, I've read some of the Java packaging concepts, but didn't see
(or missed) thoughts about modular versioning (ie- artifacts).

Here are the things to consider here;

- Current RPM's are using the version declared in the POM files.
Should this concept remain?
* I think it should remain, as other packaging systems should
be able to use it as well and end-up is the similar project version.

- Do we want to expose oVirt engine artifacts in a Maven repo
for others to consume?
* If we do, we'll need to make sure we have a scheme that works both for
Maven and for packaging (RPM) comparisons.

One last thing...
I know most of the packaging work now is RPM based. Still, I'm
asking you to leave enough room for non-RPM distro's to join in.
--

/d

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm. --Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy