[vdsm] Storage Device Management in VDSM and oVirt

Deepak C Shetty deepakcs at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Mon Apr 23 11:28:52 UTC 2012

On 04/22/2012 12:28 PM, Ayal Baron wrote:

>>> This way we'd have a 2 stage process:
>>> 1. setupStorage (generic)
>> I was looking up on the VDSM archives and there are talks of using
>> libstoragemgmt (lsm)
> Funny, we started using that acronym for Live Storage Migration :)
>
>> under VDSM. I was wondering if the setupStorage would be something
>> where
>> lsm would
>> be used to do the work, it seems fit for purpose here.
>>

> I don't think this is the libstoragemgmt mandate.
>
> libstoragemgmt is:
> "A library that will provide a vendor agnostic open source storage application programming interface (API) for storage arrays."
>
> i.e. it is there to abstract storage array specifics from the user.
> It will be used by things like LVM etc, not the other way around.
>
> setupStorage would use libstoragemgmt wherever appropriate of course.
>
> But as the libstoragemgmt maintainer, Tony (cc'd) can correct me if I'm wrong here.

I was looking at setupStorage as Provisioning + Setting up.
I know one of the basic goals of lsm is provision the storage to the host
and preparing the storage for consumption is higher layers work.

With that, i think then its becomes a 3 stage process, from oVirt/VDSM
pov...
1) Provision Storage (using lsm if applicable, based on whether external
storage is connected)
2) Setup Storage (prepare the provisioned LUNs for usage)
3) createSD/createGlusterVolume/...  (plugin specific)

Since we are talking about Storage management using VDSM, i was
interested in understanding the plans, strategy of how VDSM + lsm
will integrate ?

thanx,
deepak