oVirt and Quantum

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Sun Apr 29 12:01:27 UTC 2012

On 04/29/2012 02:50 PM, Oved Ourfalli wrote:

> I know it is only a POC, but if you can share the source code via gerrit that would be great.
I am in the process of doing this. I encountered a number of problems
with the way in which oVirt handles the host "availability" status - the
code that I was using did not work well with Quantum (I understand that
a fix was done upstream a a short while ago). I am currently doing a
rebase and a merge. When this compiles and works I'll post the updates.

> That way we will be able to track all the locations in which you did your changes, and we might be able to give input on the issues you had.
>
> Also, on the issue:
> "Quantum enables a vNic to be assigned to a different network at run time - this can now be enabled by oVirt, that is, for oVirt to add or edit a NIC, the VM has to be stopped)"
> I guess you meant to say "this can not be enabled..." instead of "this can now be enabled...". Also, remove the closing bracket there.
In the oVirt version that I have if the user wishes to update a network,
he/she has to shutdown the VM, perform the network change and then
restart the VM. In the case of Quantum one can perform the updates
whilst the VM is running.
> However, we added the ability to hot-plug/unplug a NIC to a running VM, so I guess the change can now be done when the VM is up, and the NIC is unplugged, so you can add a comment about that as well.
If the plug/unplug feature exists then I'll remove the comment on the
wiki. In which oVirt version does this exist?

Thanks for the comments
Gary