KVM on IBM POWER (PPC64) support in vdsm and ovirt

Roy Golan rgolan at redhat.com
Fri Dec 14 00:18:09 UTC 2012

On 11/18/2012 01:47 PM, Itamar Heim wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 07:34 PM, Fernando Granha Jeronimo wrote:

>>> thanks, we will check these patches and possibly change the approach
>>> to use libosinfo.
>>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> We have carefully analyzed the engine libosinfo patches and the
>> libosinfo itself to devise
>> our conclusion. During this process, we found the following key points:
>>
>>    * In order to have a clear notion of supported versions and devices,
>> we would
>>      need to populate libosinfo's xmls for qemu and for devices, as well
>> as implement logic in
>>      ovirt-engine to process the relationship between them. This would
>> be basically partially
>>      reimplement the lib itself. In addition, given that we are not
>> using the lib but actually processing
>>      the xmls directly there is no guarantee that their structure will
>> be preserved in the future,
>>      which in the mid/long term may lead to code changes in the engine
>> to adapt to it.
>
> I thought that is what roy's patches are doing?
> i agree about the concern if the xml is changing.
all of your concerns have been brought up. please have a look at the
discussion around how to integrate with libosinfo
http://lists.ovirt.org/pipermail/arch/2012-September/000924.html
any comments about it would be appreciated.

>>    * Even if libosinfo had all the information we needed in the xmls, we
>> would still need to validate
>>      or filter values according to ovirt-engine's rules. For instance,
>> if the list of network devices
>>      for PowerKVM in libosinfo had 5 elements and the engine only
>> intended to support/expose 2 specific models,
>>      (for a given version for example) it has to be aware of these two
>> models, meaning that even using libosinfo
>>      we still need something in engine to validate them (which
>> reinforces Itamar's filter suggestion).
>
> good point - Roy, how would cluster level compatibility for features
> would work in your libosinfo approach?
I'd have to keep a set of devices per arch as libosinfo doesn't cover that.