How to effectively lurk oVirt projects with Gerrit?

Itamar Heim iheim at redhat.com
Wed Feb 8 22:34:16 UTC 2012

Of Anthony Liguori
> Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2012 0:06 AM
> To: arch at ovirt.org
> Subject: How to effectively lurk oVirt projects with Gerrit?
>
> Hi,
>
> Perhaps I'm getting too set in my ways, but I'm having a really hard
time
> following oVirt projects with Gerrit.  I'm hoping I can get some advice
here
> from anyone with a similar needs.
>
> I know there's -patches lists like vdsm-patches but the mails generated
by
> Gerrit only seem to be commits, not patches posted for inclusion or
comments on
> those patches.  It also doesn't inline the patches in the mails which
makes
> casual reading difficult.

All emails should go to the -patches lists, these would include initial
patch email, comments and commit - but yes, they do not include the
payload.
It doesn't include the inline, since we had some issues contributing that
code to gerrit upstream (well, their gerrit was down, then some CLA issues
- hopefully all resolved by now).

> In short, how can one be a silent observer via a mailing list and get a
good
> feeling for what's going on in the project?
>
> Is there a way to make Gerrit send the actual patches to the various
mailing
> lists as they're posted for review (along with review comments to those
patches)?

As I mentioned above, we saw this gap as well, and (Gal Hammer) wrote a
patch for gerrit to close it.
But I did not want to build a forked version of our gerrit until these
patches are accepted into upstream gerrit.
Once they do, either will wait for the next version, or just backport this
specific patch to the version we have.

Btw, you can also register in gerrit only to specific project and get the
emails directly, rather than via the mailing list.
(login, settings, watched projects, choose per project (or even branch)
granularity to watch new/comment/submit emails.

HTH,
   Itamar