Some thoughts on enhancing High Availability in oVirt

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Thu Feb 16 13:37:49 UTC 2012

> Can a service be spread on more than one VM?
> For example if I have enterprise application that requires application
> server (AS) and a data base (DB), the AS and DB can not live in the same
> guest because of different access restrictions (based on real use case).
> The service availability is dependent on both guests being active, and
> an optimization is to run both of them on the same host.

Yep.  That should all be possible to specify with the correct policy in
Pacemaker Cloud, and with a bare metal Pacemaker cluster this sort of
deployment is very straightforward.  Even the colocation or
anti-colocation policy to keep the two guests on the same host or
separate hosts[1] should be possible.

Perry

[1] as long as the underlying cloud itself supports the ability to
    instruct on colocation/anti-colocation... Right now my
    understanding is that there is no easy way to specify this in oVirt
    and certainly in EC2 there's no way to specify this unless you were
    to put each VM in a different Region