Some thoughts on enhancing High Availability in oVirt

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sun Feb 19 13:55:06 UTC 2012

On 16/02/12 16:23, Steven Dake wrote:

>>> That's it in a nutshell :)

>>> That is in line with what I was proposing.  There are two ways you can
>>> do service HA...
>>>
>>> * Take a set of OSes (guests) and a set of services.  Each service can
>>> run on any of the guests.  Therefore services can be failed over from
>>> one live guest to another.  This is effectively how the Pacemaker HA
>>> stack works on both bare metal and virtual clusters
>>>
>>> * Take a set of OSes (guests) and on each guest place a specific set of
>>> services.  Services can be restarted if they fail on a specific guest,
>>> but if a guest/host fails, rather than failing over the service to
>>> another live running guest, instead the entire guest responsible for
>>> that service is restarted.  The recovery time is slightly longer in this
>>> case because recovery involves restarting a VM instead of just starting
>>> a service on another running VM.  But the positive here is that the
>>> configuration and policies are not as complex, and since VMs typically
>>> can start fairly quickly the failover time is still adequate for most users
>>>

>> Can a service be spread on more than one VM?
>> For example if I have enterprise application that requires application
>> server (AS) and a data base (DB), the AS and DB can not live in the same
>> guest because of different access restrictions (based on real use case).
>> The service availability is dependent on both guests being active, and
>> an optimization is to run both of them on the same host.
>>

> Absolutely.
>
> In this case the Cloud Application is the combination of thw two
> separate VM components (database VM and AS VM).  A CAPE (cloud
> application policy engine) maintains the HA state of both VMs including
> correcting for resource (db,as) or vm failures, and ensuring ordering
> constraints even during recovery (the AS would start after the DB in
> this model).

ok, how would a flow look like to the user (oVirt user)?

- Adding new service in OE
- Specifying for the service which VMs provide it (?)
- Specify how the service can be monitored (? how does CAPE knows what
to look for as the service heartbeat?)
- Marking th service as HA

What's next?
Where can the user define the policy about this service (i.e. 'should be
available only on Tuesdays' or 'should be available only between
0800-1700 CET' etc)?