[oVirt][Quantum] question about quantum CLI

Gary Kotton gkotton at redhat.com
Tue Jun 12 08:47:43 UTC 2012

Hi Kris,
Thanks for the questions. Please see my inline answers. I have also
cc'ed the ovirt arch mailing list.
Thanks
Gary

On 06/12/2012 11:21 AM, Kris zhang wrote:
> Hi Gkotton,
>
> I have some questions:
>
> 1) In the file "ovirt.sh", i found the command quantum always use the
> tenant "default", so if the ovirt don't support multi-tenant?
oVirt does not support multi tenancy at the moment. Maybe there are
people on the list who can provide more details about this. The initial
plan was to use the "default" tenant.

> 2) There is a parameter "Quantum plugin type (q_plugin)" will pass to
> VDSM, so if vdsm will support some other plugin types, for example
> Ryu, in the future?
Yes. The end goal is that Quantum supports all plugin types. In the POC
I just implemented the LinuxBridge and OVS plugins. Please see the to #3
to get more details.

> 3) I saw a information in archive mail list, the oVirt will run Linux
> bridge and OVS side by side. It decided by user want to use which one
> to manage their network, but i don't know how they can work together?
> For example:  There are two hosts (Host A and Host B), and each host
> run two VMs (vm1 vm2 in Host A, and vm3 vm4 in Host B), the vm1 and
> vm3 belong to tenant A, and vm2 and vm4 belong to tenant B, then how
> to setup the connectivity? Like this?
This is something that we have discussed quite a lot in the past and
present. This has led to a large amount of confusion and debate.
I think that we should limit this to one quantum agent per host (please
note that the Quantum service currently supports only one plugin). When
VDSM is registered with oVirt in addition to providing the HOST details
(IP, root password etc), the user should also provide the plugin agent
that should be supported by VDSM. This will enable VDSM to install the
agent. configure the agent settings, etc. This render the 'q_plugin'
field redundant (this can still be used to ensure consistency between
VDSM and oVirt).