Mailing list scope proposal

Dave Neary dneary at redhat.com
Mon Sep 10 18:36:04 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 09/10/2012 07:53 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade wrote:
> I think we have support to:
>
> i. Accept the mailing list scope, as you specified;
> ii. Rename the arch@ mailing list.

Excellent.

> Questions:
>
> a. What name to change it to? Is dev@ descriptive enough, or developers@
> is better?

Personally I liked the symmetry of "users" and "developers" but I'm
happy with devel@ (and not a fan of dev@)

> b. What does it take to change the name?

Mailman can be a bit tricky that way, but as I understand it, you can:

1) Stop Mailman
2) Migrate all the subscribers from the old list to the new, and move
archives (all in files on the filesystem)
3) Create an email alias forwarding email from the old list to the new
(for backwards compatibility)
4) Restart Mailman and update various parameters, add the old address as
an alias

https://chris-lamb.co.uk/2007/10/02/renaming-a-mailman-list/ has a step
by step guide.

Cheers,