Network traffic shaping.

Moti Asayag masayag at redhat.com
Wed Jul 10 09:57:56 UTC 2013

Hi Giuseppe,

I'm in favour of reusing the entities which represent the network QoS for a network
interface. However I'd store the vnic network QoS and host network QoS entries in
different tables, else we miss the distinguish between network QoS designed for VMs
to these used for hosts.

Which leads to the next issue: The network traffic shaping will follow the Vnic Network QoS [1],
therefore the Vnic network QoS should be have an upper limit set by the host's VM network QoS for
the same VM network. What would be the behaviour in case the total average bit-rate of the VMs
exceeds the host network bit-rate ?

Is there any limit for the peak or burst ? and if there is, are they differ between the host network
QoS to the vnic QoS?

Regarding the 'New Logical Network' dialog, I'd suggest to add the Network QoS as a left tab, rather
than having it on the main dialog. See [2] a mock-up of the new dialog shortly which includes the
vnic profile left-tab, and also the QoS left-tab.

In addition, should there be a new 'QoS' sub-tab for the networks tab ?

[1] http://www.ovirt.org/Features/Network_QoS
[2] http://www.ovirt.org/File:New_netwrok_profiles.png

Moti