oVirt on IBM POWER (PPC64) - new feature contributors

Leonardo Bianconi leonardo.bianconi at eldorado.org.br
Thu Jul 11 17:04:20 UTC 2013

-----Original Message-----
From: Itamar Heim [mailto:iheim at redhat.com]
Sent: sábado, 25 de maio de 2013 10:12
To: Michal Skrivanek
Cc: Leonardo Bianconi; arch at ovirt.org; Roy Golan
Subject: Re: oVirt on IBM POWER (PPC64) - new feature contributors

On 05/22/2013 10:46 AM, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

> On May 21, 2013, at 17:33 , Leonardo Bianconi <leonardo.bianconi at eldorado.org.br> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> We are planning to deliver support for PPC64 in 4 phases. We will manage to deliver a set of patches at the end of each phase.
>>
>> Phase 1
>>
>> 	 Change oVirt to handle other architectures by encapsulating all the architecture specific code and queries about the capabilities of the hypervisor into a new class called ArchStrategy (based on the Strategy Design Pattern). Every operation involving clusters and hosts will be validated by this new class. Some hard-coded parameters are going to be replaced by queries in the backend in order to accommodate the support for new architectures into the engine.
>
> If you would like to discuss some internals or if anything is unclear please feel free to set up a quick mtg with myself, Omer and Roy.
> Sometimes (e.g. in the case of VmInterfaceType as mentioned on feature page) it would be actually beneficial for oVirt on x86 as well to have a greater flexibility directly in the code, without Strategy encapsulation.
>

>> Phase 2
>>
>> 	Currently, each host hypervisor capabilities are obtained using hard-coded data structures. These structures will be replaced either by some form of integration with libosinfo or by reading internal configuration files describing these capabilities. It will be handled after Roy's patch.
> Roy's osinfo will soon be merged.

link to patches?
does it cover adding arch at cluster level?

Sorry about the late reply. We have already handled the gap between the osinfo patch, the architecture parameters are being stored the same way as the OS info.

We didn't add a specific architecture field on each cluster, because based on the cpu name and cluster compatibility version of the cluster the architecture can be determined. Do you think it is really necessary to add another way to describe the architecture of each cluster?