Network traffic shaping.

Giuseppe Vallarelli gvallare at redhat.com
Tue Jul 23 12:14:14 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----

| |
| | Hi,
| |
| | According to the 'Detailed description' section in the wiki, it is stated
| | that the
| | admin may override the traffic shaping of the network on the data-center
| | level with
| | a specific one per host.
| |
| | Is there a need to persist this configuration on the engine side and to
| | present it
| | to the user or we just passing these settings to the host while configuring
| | the
| | network on the host and abandoning them afterwards? Meaning, VDSM will
| | report
| | the QoS per
| | host's network and it will be presented to the user. But the actual values
| | that
| | were used to set these network QoS won't be persistent on the engine side?
| |
| | The answer to the above has further implication on the design on engine
| | side,
| | therefore before starting futile discussion, is there such a requirement ?
| |

Hi Doron,

| Host-level traffic shaping handles one aspect in the domain of QoS. For
| 3.3 we're already planning VM-level networking QoS and your feature is
| completing it.
| Network traffic shaping is one implementation libvirt chose, in order
| to provide quality of service at host level. Look for "quality of service"
| in [1]. But we should also remember that it may have additional
| implementations
| which goes all the way to the network device, as we will need to handle in
| provided networks.

All right.

| So for completeness and clarification we should align host-level network QoS
| with VM-level network QoS. Let's start with renaming the feature from it's
| implementation to what it should provide: host network QoS. Ofri may assist
| you with renaming current pages as needed to improve things. This may also
| help me find the detailed description Moti was referring to.

Ok I agree on the naming issue, I wanted to get Network QoS (still not the
best name) but that was already used. Host network QoS sounds good to me.

| As a next step we should verify there are no conflicts in functionality
| and UI in both levels. Implementation wise, I like your re-use attempts,
| and I'd suggest revisiting the UI part based on network profiles. Network
| profiles are consumers for network QoS entities just as logical network is a
| consumer of network QoS entities. IIUC, you should be using the QoS left tab
| as depicted in [2] in the new/edit logical network dialog.

For your UI concern, the actual mockups are rough sketches it's probably
going to look different. I agree with you on the need of having a possible
uniform UI look'n'feel. A possible idea for future releases would be to
have a sort of unified QoS dashboard where the admin can have an overall
picture of the defined QoS at multiple levels.

| Going forward we'll have to close the gaps of the API for both levels,
| and make sure these QoS settings are managed properly as a policy and
| delivered to the host, where it will be enforced by MoM.

Ok, thanks for the feedback,
Giuseppe