[RFC] Moving project planning meeting to IRC

Carl Trieloff cctrieloff at redhat.com
Tue Oct 18 13:16:57 UTC 2011

On 10/12/2011 11:04 AM, Chris Wright wrote:
> * Anthony Liguori (aliguori at us.ibm.com) wrote:
>> This came up in today's project planning meeting.  How do folks feel about
>> moving the project planning and future board meetings to IRC?
>>
>> The advantage of IRC meetings are that the full meeting minutes can be
>> posted in a public archive.  It's significantly easier for many folks to
>> participate in IRC meetings.
>>
>> I think the only downside would be if anyone involved is uncomfortable with
>> using IRC.  Using IRC for regular meetings certainly doesn't preclude having
>> occasional phone calls if necessary.
> The only other downsides I've heard voiced (having just gone through
> this debate elsewhere):
>
> 1) typing == slow for some folks
> 2) inevitible overlapping conversations
> 3) more consuming than phone (harder to do 2 things at once)
> 4) can't do from airport/kitchen/car/...
>
> thanks,
> -chris

let's keep the sync call until we are launched at the workshop. I expect
that we will transition the board business to the mailing list and then
only formally meet less frequently once most of the business is
conducted on the list.

The main reason for a call until launch is to deal with the sync and
coordination. I expect that we can move to IRC/ mail list for 95+% of
the business after the workshop

Carl.