Policy for applying copyright notices

Livnat Peer lpeer at redhat.com
Sat Oct 22 17:18:28 UTC 2011

On 10/19/2011 02:12 AM, Carl Trieloff wrote:

>> That line is actually from the appendix of the Apache License 2.0,
>> which gives a recommended copyright notice.
>>
>> I'm sympathetic to the view that precise formal details of copyright
>> notices should not be mandated. At Red Hat, I think the "(C)" may have
>> been historically recommended, but I have non-actively promoted
>> non-use of it on principles of minimalism :-).
>>
>> I think, however, that Carl was suggesting a rule that *some* suitable
>> form of copyright notice be placed by the author of an original file,
>> not mandating what the form would be.
>
> correct.
>
> Carl.

I personally rather dropping the [name of copyright owner] I believe
that's why we have history in the source control.

There is one person adding the file and other X (X likely > 1) people
changing it, I see no reason crediting the one who added the file.

We had a discussion on this in the engine-core project some time ago and
we decided to remove all credits to file creators.

If not accepted as a general rule for all oVirt projects I would like to
suggest that this can be decided/changed on a project level.

Livnat