[ovirt-devel] What does your oVirt development environment look like?

Greg Sheremeta gshereme at redhat.com
Thu Aug 21 13:17:51 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

Good idea.

I work on the UI, so I don't have much of a need for a complex setup. I
have the two mini dells, and then I have two much more powerful personal
machines that I use for work -- machine 1 (dauntless) is my main development
machine, and machine 2 (starbase) is my main home server. I compile and run
engine on dauntless, and starbase serves NFS and SMB. I don't have iscsi setup,
although I probably should learn this. I use nested virt for all my hosts,
so mini dell 1 and mini dell 2 both run Fedora 20 and I basically just remote
to them to install vms via virt-manager.

I had cobbler running at one point, but I got frustrated with it one too many
times and gave up. Now I just have a giant collection of isos available via
NFS (and scattered on the desktops of the mini dells :)) I typically install
fresh hosts using the F20 network-install iso. It's a little slower, but
very reliable.

I tend to not need more than one of two database instances at a time.

I gave up using my laptop for primary development because I need three monitors
on my dev rig, and my laptop supports two max. (I'm currently heartbroken at
the lack of USB3 video for linux. See [1].) I basically use my laptop as
a remote viewer to dauntless now when I'm working in bed or wanting to sit out
on the porch. (RealVNC encrypted mode -- I use an xrandr script to toggle off
two of dauntless's monitors, and then I full-screen VNC.)

Old pic of my desk: [2]

Dauntless, starbase, the dells, and all monitors are connected to a giant UPS.
Home network equipment is all connected to another UPS.

I've given some thought to building a distributed compile of ovirt (specifically
the GWT part -- maybe distribute each permutation to worker nodes), but I was
under the impression that most people just use their laptop for work. I think
a distributed compile would be pretty nice for me, but not sure how many people
would use it. ?

Greg

[1] http://www.change.org/p/displaylink-support-linux-with-dl-3000-series-chips
[2] http://i.imgur.com/jaMuU8Z.jpg