[ovirt-devel] compile vdsm and attach it to a engine

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Sat Jul 5 19:56:41 UTC 2014

----- Original Message -----

I think those pages are misleading.

1. First Centos 6.3 is too old, I think that current vdsm requires Centos 6.5.
   Using old version you may have missing packages.
   Do you have specific reason to use this version?

2. Why do you want to compile vdsm? Do you plan to modify vdsm or you just
   need a version that works on your machine?

3. If you want to develop vdsm, first prepare the host:

   1. Install on the host one of the supported versions - RHEL 6.5, Centos 6.5
      or Fedora 19. Fedora 20 should also work.

   2. http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Developers#Installing_required_packages

   3. http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Developers#Getting_the_source

   4. http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Developers#Building_a_Vdsm_RPM

   5. You don't need anything else on that page (but see bellow)

4. Add the host to ovirt engine

   The best way is to do it from the engine, before you install your vdsm you built
   from source. This will configure network and certificates and will make your life
   easier.

   Do not disable ssl or installation from engine, it will only make it more
   complex for yourself.

   So add the host the engine - it will install the lastest stable vdsm version
   on this host and it should be up in few minuets.

5. Install new vdsm version

   This is the step you will do again and again when developing vdsm.

   1. On the engine side, move the host to maintenance

   2. On the host, remove vdsm:

      yum remove -y vdsm\*

      This is required because the way we version master builds. A version you
      build from source will typically have older version number compared with
      latest stable version. Removing vdsm is quick and solve this versioning
      mess.

   3. And install the rpm packages as described in:
      http://www.ovirt.org/Vdsm_Developers#Basic_installation

     Important note: the command to install vdsm in the wiki assume that
     you have only one version of the rpm in rpmbuild/RPMS/*/. If you have
     multiple versions your installation will fail with strange errors.

     The best way to avoid this is to remove the RPMS direcotory before you
     build new rpm. If you want to keep multiple rpms version move them elsewhere
     after you build.

If you have trouble, please attach engine.log and vdsm.log. We cannot help if
all the info we have is "host is non-responsive".

Nir