[ovirt-devel] [VDSM][sampling] thread pool status and handling of stuck calls

Saggi Mizrahi smizrahi at redhat.com
Sun Jul 6 11:58:38 UTC 2014

The more I think about it the more it looks like it's
purely a libvirt issue. As long as we can make calls
that get stuck on D state we can't scale under stress.

In any case, seems like having an interface like.

libvirtConnectionPool.request(args, callback)

Would be a better solution than a thread pool.

It would queue up the request and call the callback
once it's done.

pseudo example:

def collectStats():
     def callback(resp):
          doStuff(resp)
          threading.Timer(4, collectStats)

     lcp.listAllDevices(callback)

We could have the timer queue in a threadpool since it normally
runs in the main thread but that is orthogonal to the libvirt
connection issue.

As for the thread pool itself. As long as it's more than one class
it's too complicated.

Things like:
* Task Cancelling
* Re-queuing (periodic operations)

Shouldn't be part of the thread pool.

Task should just be functions. If we need something
with a state we could use the __call__() method to make
an object look like a function. I also don't mind doing
if hasattr(task, "run") or callable(task) to handle it
using an "interface"

Re-queuing could be done with the build it threading.Timer
as in

threading.Timer(4.5, threadpool.queue, args=(self,))

That way each operation is responsible for handing
the details of rescheduling.
Should we always wait X, should we wait X - timeItTookToCalculate.

You could also do:
threading.Timer(2, threadpool.queue, args=(self,))
threading.Timer(4, self.handleBeingLate)

Which would handle not getting queued for a certain amount of time.

Task cancelling can't be done in a generic manner.
The most I think we could do is have threadpool.stop()
check hassattr("stop", task) and call it.