[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] VM recovery now depends on HSM

Adam Litke alitke at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 13:33:20 UTC 2014

On 10/07/14 08:40 +0200, Michal Skrivanek wrote:

>On Jul 9, 2014, at 15:38 , Nir Soffer <nsoffer at redhat.com> wrote:

>>> 2. User initiates Live Merge on VM
>>> 3. Host A experiences a catastrophic hardware failure before engine
>>> can determine if the merge succeeded or failed
>>> 4. VM is restarted on Host B
>>>
>>> Since (in this case) the host cannot know if a live merge was in
>>> progress on the previous host, it needs to always check.
>>>

>>> Some ideas to mitigate:
>>> 1. When engine recreates a VM on a new host and a Live Merge was in
>>> progress, engine could call a verb to ask the host to synchronize the
>>> volume chain.  This way, it only happens when engine knows it's needed
>>> and engine can be sure that the required resources (storage
>>> connections and domains) are present.
>>
>> This seems like the right approach.
>
>+1
>I like the "only when needed", since indeed we can assume the scenario is unlikely to happen most of the times (but very real indeed)

Ok.  I will need to expose a synchronizeDisks virt verb for this.  It
will be called by engine whenever a VM moves between hosts prior to a
block job being resolved.

##
# @VM.synchronizeDisks:
#
# Tell vdsm to synchronize disk metadata with the live VM state
#
# @vmID:  The UUID of the VM
#
# Since: 4.16.0
##
{'command': {'class': 'VM', 'name': 'synchronizeDisks'},
 'data': {'vmID': 'UUID'}}

Greg, you can call this after VmStats from the new host indicates
that the block job is indeed not there anymore.  You want to call it
before you fetch the VM definition to check the volume chain.  This
way you can be sure that the new host has refreshed the config in case
it was out of sync.

Federico, I am thinking about how to handle the case where someone
would try a cold merge here instead of starting the VM.  I guess they
cannot because engine will have the disk locked.  Maybe that is good
enough for now.

>>> 2. The syncVolumeChain call runs in the recovery case to ensure that
>>> we clean up after any missed block job events from libvirt while vdsm
>>> was stopped/restarting.
>
>can we clean up later on, does it need to be on recovery? Can it be delayed - requested by engine a little bit later?

This question is where I could use some help from the experts :)  Here
is the scenario in question:  How serious is a temporary metadata
inconsistency?

1. Live merge starts for VM on a host
2. vdsm crashes
3. qemu completes the live merge operation and rewrite the qcow chain
4. libvirt emits an event (missed by vdsm which is not running)
5. vdsm starts and recovers VM

At this point, the vm conf has an outdated view of the disk.  In the
case of an active layer merge, the volumeID of the disk will have
changed and at least one volume is removed from the chain.  For
internal volume merge, just one or more volumes can be missing from
the chain.  In addition, the metadata on the storage side is out
dated.

As long as engine submits no operations which depend on an accurate
picture of the volume chain until it has called synchronizeDisks() we
should be okay.  Does vdsm initiate any operations on its own that
would be sensitive to this synchronization issue (ie. disk stats)?

--
Adam Litke