[ovirt-devel] [vdsm] logging levels and noise in the log

Michal Skrivanek michal.skrivanek at redhat.com
Fri Jul 11 12:21:28 UTC 2014

On Jul 11, 2014, at 13:29 , Antoni Segura Puimedon <asegurap at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]

I'm not opposed to splitting stuff, only to diverge to different files right away. I'd prefer all info flows the same way, then do de-multiplexing, to different files or the same, whatever is required.
As sometimes this admin guy's logs are good enough, but sometimes you need the context so it's better to have it in the same place (i.e. exactly the same in a different/root log file)
It's fine you did it once, it's not fine if everyone does that and we end up with 30 distributed files per group and per problem…without a central location how to redirect things or without a holistic detailed view for real debugging.
anyway, it's a very minor point, nevermind...

>>> I'm sure it was brought up many times before….why don't we just send
>>> it to syslog?:)
>>
>> IIRC it was striked down since just because it was complex to configure
>> syslog.conf and/or rsyslog.conf properly. Doing the de-multiplexing of
>> log messages in /etc/vdsm/logger.conf was much easier.
>>
>> I think that nowadays, we could just drop a file onto /etc/rsyslog.d/.
>
> I'd go for this.
>

>> <snip>

>>> per host sounds good for vdsm (btw engine suffers from the same)
>>> I wouldn't bother with UI though….I kind of never understood the tools
>>> which have "enable debug" checkbox in UI but then you anyway have no idea
>>> what is it now creating, what's the impact on the system, where to look
>>> for it.
>>> I think debug should remain a purely troubleshooting measure, hence
>>> requiring you to log to host and do something, look/analyze/copy the big
>>> dump of info…and then turn it back.
>>> High debug levels typically bring some caveats like less performance…it
>>> shouldn't be something I can blindly check and forgot about it in UI.
>>
>> I'm thinking about the support engineer. He needs as much logs as the
>> user can give him. By moving away of default DEBUG level, we are taking
>> one of his most important tools. The least we can do is to make it easy
>> on him to re-enable it.
>
> I'd have either a verb for vdsmd/supervdsmd or a signal that can be sent
> via vdsClient to a running daemon to modify the logging level.

I think we'd benefit from some simple set of wrappers/scripts to make it comfortable
Comfortable for support engineers too. I just still want them to at least log on the damn box, that's the least you can do…:)
(seriously, I'm concerned about too much of an ignorance if it's too simple. Enabling debug (as well as running logcollector) is a dangerous thing to do)

Thanks,
michal