[ovirt-devel] Question/thoughts about our engine logging framework

Martin Perina mperina at redhat.com
Mon Jun 16 13:22:16 UTC 2014

Well, I'm not sure I understand even now, but see my response :-)

> 1. use log4j or apache commons within application.

That's not a good idea because both doesn't support simple varargs.
We want use slf4j to be able to use this:

    log.info("Hello: {} {} {}", p1, p2, p3);

> 2. use java.logging as logging infra.

Well, AFAIK JBoss reimplements java.logging backend and redirects
it to its own backend (JBoss Logging). No sure, if we will be able
(or want) to bypass this redirection and use java.logging as backend
for engine. Not to mention, there will always be server.log for JBoss
infra logging.

And for engine-manage-domains and engine-config we would have to
drop command line configuration using log4j introduced in 3.5 and
for next version change it to java.logging configuration

So personally I don't see any benefit of this change for users nor
developers ...