[ovirt-devel] multipath configuration

Federico Simoncelli fsimonce at redhat.com
Fri Jun 27 13:10:51 UTC 2014

We need this check somewhere whether it is in the service file (maybe
using ExecStartPre for cleanliness) or in the vdsm daemon the problem of
supporting multiple distro remains.

> > > 2. vdsm-tool being able to configure multipath.conf (only the required
> > >    entries), this would be very much similar to what we do with libvirt.
> > >    If we want to use augeas it is just an implementation detail.
> > >
> > > 3. vdsm-tool being able to install/replace entire multipath.conf in
> > >    case it wasn't already configured (or in case you want to force the
> > >    default strict configuration, e.g. during initial automated
> > >    deployment?)
> > >
> > > It is always polite to backup the previous config in .rpmsave.
> > >
> > > Point 1 implicitly allows the sysadmin to change multipath.conf, which
> > > could be harder to support (he could use conflicting entries) but anyway
> > > it gives the flexibility to customize multipath.conf if needed (which
> > > is something that we already have).
> > >
> > > Point 1 and 2 seem just "read" and "write" of the same parameters,
> > > which could be cleanly done with augeas (if the support is good).
> > >
> > > We could begin with points 1 and 3 (easier to tackle) and re-evaluate
> > > 2 later.
>
> Sound good
>
> > > Anyway we have an hard requirement for point 2 during upgrades when we
> > > need to configure a new key/section or edit an old one.
>
> Isn't it really necessary? When we do upgrades we know which configuration
> we need in the new version and we could just replace the .conf file and leave
> the original .conf.rpmsave untouched. What am I missing?

If in a new version X we need to configure a new parameter in multipath.conf
(that wasn't configured before X) we should be able to set it with vdsm-tool
without replacing the entire file (that may contain customized entries).
Same for a parameter that we may want to change.

--
Federico