[ovirt-devel] Project vdsm-jsonrpc-java backup maintainer
alonbl at redhat.com
Sun Jun 29 18:59:09 UTC 2014
----- Original Message -----
> From: "Sandro Bonazzola" <sbonazzo at redhat.com>
> To: "infra" <infra at ovirt.org>, devel at ovirt.org
> Cc: "Piotr Kliczewski" <pkliczew at redhat.com>
> Sent: Friday, June 27, 2014 5:30:34 PM
> Subject: Project vdsm-jsonrpc-java backup maintainer
> looks like only one person has +2 / merge rights on vdsm-jsonrpc-java.
> I think every project should have a "backup" maintainer.
> Since it seems pkliczewski is the only committer there, I would like to
> propose him as maintainer too.
My usual statement:
The term of "Backup maintainer" is wrong in my opinion.
1. There is nothing emergency in upstream project.
2. Downstream maintainer can always add patches on top of upstream release if there is downstream emergency, this is the reason of having downstream.
3. For small and medium projects there should be only one maintainer, to keep project consistent.
4. Large projects should be modular (components with own release cycle), so for each module single maintainer is assigned. vdsm-jsonrpc-java is a good example of taking a component out of the monolithic engine into a module with own release cycle and own maintainer.
5. If maintainer of component is unresponsive or is not productive, maintainer should be assigned to different person.
More information about the Devel