[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v integration feature

Shahar Havivi shaharh at redhat.com
Wed Sep 10 07:41:27 UTC 2014

On 02.09.14 09:26, Arik Hadas wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Better late than never..
>
> Thanks for all the feedback, it was really constructive.
> I made major changes in the wiki page to address the comments,
> Please take another look:
> http://www.ovirt.org/Features/virt-v2v_Integration
>
> Thanks,
> Arik
Few issues came up after talking with storage team:

The actual import VM will take place in two steps:
1. SPM call to create the volume.
2. HSM call virt-v2v with the created UUIDs by the first SPM call.
   The virt-v2v don't need to create any directory or volume since
   the SPM create volume will create the structure for us.
   Rich: is that ok with the current virt-v2v?

Before creating the volume we are running a virt-v2v convert with --no-copy,
which mean we don't copy the disk only get the ovf, by doing that we don't
have the actual size of the disk - which cause a problem in block device where
we need to preallocate the volume and to make sure that the destination have
room for the new disk.
Rich: Can we get the estimated size when we run with --no-copy?

Some notes:
Since the second call is an HSM call we need to make sure that we take the
virt-v2v "tasks" into consideration when it comes to host life cycle.

Thanks,
  Shahar.