[ovirt-devel] virt-v2v intergration with vdsm

Shahar Havivi shaharh at redhat.com
Tue Sep 16 12:17:23 UTC 2014

Hi,

We are planning to add couple of verbs to vdsm in order to import external VMs
from VMWare esx server directly to data domain.

This ability will also be reflected in oVirt engine and will enable user to
view and select VMs from esx server, currently if oVirt user want to import a
VM he needs to invoke a virt-v2v command line that will transfer the VM to
an export domain and then import the same VM from export domain to data domain,
Our goal is to eliminate the additional copy and simplify the process.

In order to achive that we need to add two verbs for vdsm:

1. getExternalVmList(uri):
   This call is for listing all VMs that are raised in a specified esx server
   given its uri.
2. convertExternalVm():
   The actual call to virt-v2v for copy and convert the VM to data domain,
   importVm will be called after the oVirt engine create the right image
   structure (via createImage)

The virt-v2v handling verbs and other needed logic will be presented in a new
file vdsm/v2v.py

More details on virt-v2v integration can be found in its feature page:
http://www.ovirt.org/Features/virt-v2v_Integration

Thanks,
  Shahar Havivi.