[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] about improved libvirt-python bindings

Francesco Romani fromani at redhat.com
Tue Feb 24 10:40:07 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----

Will provide hard numbers (and possibly pretty graphs)

> > But in general, there will always be a not-perfect match from
> > libvirt-python
> > and VDSM needs. This is expected: libvirt-python needs to be more generic.
> >
> > So, I coded a Proof of Concept extension module which *complements*
> > and not *replaces* the libvirt-python API.
>
> Does it require Vdsm to hold two open connections to libvirtd? [...]

Nope, it is intended as transparent replacement, much like our pthreading
does for threading standard module.

[...]
> > It was a nice and fun hack, but now, the question is: is that a concept
> > worth developing further? Do we want to use and depend on this module?
> >
> > I believe that with such a buffer we can gain some agility with respect
> > to libvirt plans and needs, and the maintainership cost _seems_ fairly low.
> >
> > Thoughts welcome.
>
> To me, adding this module seems quite expensive: new ovirt project,
> inclusion in fedora/el/debian, versioning and release-engineering
> hassle.

Right, but much of this cost should be bootstrap, not recurring, right?
Not trying to push things, just to assess the cons.

> To support the idea, I'd prefer to see a measureable improvement
> in architecture or performence, that still alludes me.

Right, will work on that direction.

Thanks and bests,

--
Francesco Romani