[ovirt-devel] SubnodeConfiguration, HierarchicalConfiguration and Checkstyle

Yedidyah Bar David didi at redhat.com
Thu Jan 1 21:03:30 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I started looking at building the engine using xmvn [1], see also [2] [3]
if interested. The core of this project is to stop bundling modules we
get from maven during build, and instead use ones packaged by the distribution
(fedora or rhel for now).

This will require, among other things, to adapt our existing code that uses
such modules, to their versions as packaged by the distro.

On first attempt I failed, due to currently using commons-configuration 1.6
where fedora 20 (where I do this) ships 1.9. If I change the pom to use 1.9,
the build fails on the line:
        List<SubnodeConfiguration> configurationsAt = config.configurationsAt("/*/" + ALTERNATE_KEY);
in backend/manager/tools/src/main/java/org/ovirt/engine/core/config/EngineConfigLogic.java,
saying they are of incompatible types.

I tried a bit changing stuff there, and current status is that Checkstyle fails,
with my current draft patch [4].

I'd appreciate some experienced Java developer to give this a look and
advice on how to proceed. Thanks!

I guess the other option is to Conflict (in the spec file) with the package
shipped in fedora, and either bundle 1.6 as we do now or package it on the
ovirt repo. I'd rather not go that route for now.

[1] https://mizdebsk.fedorapeople.org/xmvn/site/
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Java
[3] https://fedorahosted.org/released/javapackages/doc/
[4] http://gerrit.ovirt.org/36528