[ovirt-devel] Request for new git repos: ovirt-engine-sdk-python-specs, ovirt-engine-sdk-java-specs, ovirt-engine-cli-specs

David Caro Estevez dcaroest at redhat.com
Mon Jan 12 08:07:33 UTC 2015

On 01/12, Sandro Bonazzola wrote:
> Il 09/01/2015 23:48, David Caro Estevez ha scritto:
> > I really discourage having separated repos for specs, scripts or any 'code' used for building any official packages.
> >
> > That complicates (to the point of making it not feasible) a continuous build approach, and introduces a lot of complexity and limitations to the continuous integration of the project.
>
> I'm not realy sure to follow. What's the difference between Juan's request and what we have already in place for jasper-report-server or
> ovirt-engine-jboss-as? We have specs and sources in different locations there too.

The difference is that we control the source code, we are not doing
any continuous integration of those projects, as we don't control the
source reposiotries, if we did, it would be complicated to manage as
it's split in two repos (one for the code and another for the
specs). That makes it really hard to create a continuous deployment
pipeline as you have to keep track for each source code commit, which
commit of the spec file is the one that can build it. And we don't do
that, so we can't build any point in th esource code, once a
non-backwards compatible change is made to the spec all the previous
code becomes obsolete.

It also affects to the ability to keep a semantic versioning of the
product, as you'll have to manage generating a version from multiple
repositories (and keep the version<->hashes map and the ordering). As
a change on the spec should be reflected on the version of the
generated package.

> > If we can avoid it, I really discourage it. Can we talk about it and find a more friendly solution?
>
> I've no strong feelings for existing or proposed solution.
> I just think that from a packaging for distribution point of view, the koji way of separating specs and sources is fine.

The problem is in the continuos integration and build point of
view. If you are not aiming to build countinuously it does not matte.

--
David Caro

Red Hat S.L.

Tel.: +420 532 294 605