[ovirt-devel] Move bugs to ON_QA based on snapshot builds?

Lior Vernia lvernia at redhat.com
Wed Jan 28 08:44:44 UTC 2015

Hello everyone,

I wanted to suggest that we automate the change of oVirt 3.6 bug status
from MODIFIED to ON_QA based on nightly snapshot builds.

The motivation should be clear: when bugs are fixed on the master
branch, the fix becomes readily available for verification as soon as
the next snapshot is built (and there's indeed someone to verify on the
master branch - the same person who was working on the master branch and
opened the bug!).

We currently only move them to ON_QA on milestone builds (e.g. alpha,
beta), but I don't think that's right for an open source project - the
status of bugs (targeted to the nearest release) should be up-to-date
with the actual state of the master branch.

We've encountered the problem testing features for 3.6 the last couple
of weeks, and since it's gonna be a long version this situation will
likely occur often. So far I've been moving bugs to ON_QA myself, but I
don't really want to follow the snapshot builds manually (nor move the
bugs to ON_QA as soon as they're merged, in case the snapshot build
doesn't happen).

The downside would be that bugs could be VERIFIED at an early point in
the development, and later regressions could occur that would render the
verification obsolete. But this could happen just the same between
release milestones...

Thoughts?

Yours, Lior.