[ovirt-devel] VM status checks - request for comments

Shmuel Melamud smelamud at redhat.com
Tue Jul 14 09:12:52 UTC 2015

Hi!

I'm currently working on creation of new VMStatus helper functions that may be used to check VM status when needed being all-purpose, robust and universal.

For this purpose I've created a table of all places where VM status is checked, using current VMStatus functions, long lines of comparisons or some indirect way like validators. (Sure, I didn't include some cases. VmAnalyzer logic doesn't fit here. Mappings, rendering, message selection, changing states in migration process - it is not the case when helper functions may help.)

Here is the table: https://docs.google.com/a/redhat.com/spreadsheets/d/1yb-JdTAGh_4bOC6tL7KLz1Q2VR-UkF3eMSo1o_kU3MM/edit?usp=sharing

Many lines are raising questions - why these states are allowed and these are not? What to do in Unknown state, in migration, hibernation, WaitingForLaunch?

That's why I'm asking those of you who're familiar with some places to review them and write down your comments. What logic is behind the selection of the states? What states should be here, or shouldn't be here? This will give invaluable help to create helper functions that are really helpful ;)

--
Shmuel