[ovirt-devel] Fedora 22

Vojtech Szocs vszocs at redhat.com
Thu Jun 4 15:25:23 UTC 2015

Hi guys,

> Worst part is Firefox as we cannot use anything greater than 25 for gwt
> debugging.

AFAIK, latest Firefox version which can be used for GWT debugging
(using GWT developer browser plugin based on NPAPI) is Firefox 26.
For more details, see [1].

[1] https://plus.google.com/u/0/+BrianSlesinsky/posts/2ZsefAgkV8j

You can have multiple Firefox installations, e.g. download FF 26
(for GWT debug purposes), close all Firefox instances, run your
"default" Firefox as:

  $ ./path/to/default/firefox -profilemanager

create new profile to be used by FF 26 (e.g. "GWT-Debug"), from
this point on, you can launch FF 26 alongside your "default" FF
instance (so you can have multiple Firefox instances running at
the same time) as following:

  $ ./path/to/older/firefox -P "GWT-Debug" -no-remote

For more details, see [2].

[2] http://kb.mozillazine.org/Opening_a_new_instance_of_Firefox_with_another_profile

Firefox profiles are typically at ~/.mozilla/firefox.

> Yeah, we know about the debug problem. We (probably UX team) need to
> try Super Dev Mode once again.

Browser plugin based (classic) GWT debugging is what we use now.

Recently, GWT promoted "Super Dev Mode" [3] as the next-gen debug
process. In a nutshell, instead of GWT/Java code being evaluated
and debugged outside the browser's JavaScript context, it will be
(re)compiled on-the-fly to JS and debugged right in the browser.

[3] http://www.gwtproject.org/articles/superdevmode.html

We tried to use GWT "Super Dev Mode" in past [4] but faced issues
seemingly related to GWT's direct-eval RPC implementation.

[4] https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/26093/

Vojtech