[ovirt-devel] [VDSM] Live snapshot with ceph disks

Daniel Erez derez at redhat.com
Sun Jun 21 07:05:41 UTC 2015

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Nir Soffer" <nsoffer at redhat.com>

OpenStack uses two different approaches for live snapshot:
1. When taking a snapshot of an instance, a new image (of the entire
   instance) is created on Glance in qcow2 format - orchestrated by
   Nova and libvirt (Snapshot xml).
2. When taking a snapshot of a single volume while the VM is running
   (i.e. the volume is attached to an instance), the snapshot is taken
   using Cinder with the relevant driver. The following message is displayed
   in Horizon: "This volume is currently attached to an instance.
   In some cases, creating a snapshot from an attached volume can result
   in a corrupted snapshot." (see attached screenshot)

Since the current integration is directly with Cinder and VM snapshot
is handled by oVirt engine, we should go with a variant of option 2...
If it's too late to integrate the new verbs into 3.6, maybe we could just
settle with a similar warning when creating a live snapshot? Or block
the feature for now to avoid possible data inconsistency?