[ovirt-devel] Mixed local and shared storage

Christopher Pereira kripper at imatronix.cl
Mon May 11 16:33:17 UTC 2015

On 11-05-2015 13:17, David Caro wrote:
> Thanks Christopher!
>
> That will force me to have as many gluster storages as hosts? Or it will  allow
> to have one gluster setup with each of the hosts accessing to the local storage?
You will need one volume (with 1 local brick) for each host that needs
local storage.

If you need this for many hosts, you could use a script for creating the
local volumes.
Something like this.

HOST=host1
VOL=local-$HOST
BRICK=/mnt/disk/gluster-bricks/$VOL
mkdir $BRICK
*chown vdsm:kvm *$BRICK
*gluster vol create $VOL* <localhost>:$BRICK
*gluster vol start $VOL

*Then *in oVirt engine, you add *this new**storage manually or use the
rest API to automate it.
Use appropriate volume names referencing the host.

> I will investigate, but I'd prefer if I did not have to use any external
> service at all (in the end, is just local storage)
IMO, it's quite easy to setup gluster (2 commands), it is well supported
by oVirt and it gives you many benefits you could use in the future like
migrating the VM to other host, create snapshots, geo-replicate the
storage, etc.