[ovirt-devel] sync meeting - Vdsm 2.2

Nir Soffer nsoffer at redhat.com
Tue Feb 2 17:07:00 UTC 2016

On Tue, Feb 2, 2016 at 6:19 PM, Dan Kenigsberg <danken at redhat.com> wrote:
> (nir, piotr, danken)
>
> - splitting supervdsmServer:
>   I think that its a good idea, and that https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/52875/ is a good start.
>   It would give a nice separation of responsibility, and may serve as a
>   "teaser" for how Vdsm's public API can be broken apart.
>
>   Nir is worried that it would introduce instability for no immediate gain,
>   while distracting us from solving the supervdsmServer memory leak, or
>   possible security concens

Or other stuff like porting to python 3.

I'll leave the decision about this to Piotr.

> - schema conversion: Piotr presented his https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/c/52864/
>   which would convert the json-based schema into a cleaner yaml-based one,
>   which would be easier to version, validate, and obsolete.
>
> - Nir was unhappy with recent changes to the contrib client:
>   https://gerrit.ovirt.org/#/q/status:open+project:vdsm+branch:master+topic:jsonrpc-client
>   would prefer using standard stomp client

I'm ok, with switching to our jsonrpc library. I'm not happy about the
additional
changes - the client was kind of rewritten from scratch.

> - name discussion is stalling. some people are worried that a rename may
>   turn out to be expensive (release engineering, outher packages,
>   interal module and function name). Still, it would be fun to foresake
>   the non-pronounceable name "vdsm". ovirt-hostd seems like a front
>   runner at the moment.

We also discussed the username - if we change the project name and the
executables
we probably want to change the vdsm user to something else (ovirt?).

This may be a problem with existing file storage, using vdsm:kvm. I would like
to avoid such changes.