[ovirt-devel] IPv6 support in oVirt

Piotr Kliczewski piotr.kliczewski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 17 17:16:30 UTC 2016

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 5:47 PM, Yevgeny Zaspitsky <yzaspits at redhat.com> wrote:
> Piotr,
>
> According to our checks engine succeed connecting VDSM through ipv6 once the
> work you've reminded has been done. So it looks like jsonrpc is agnostic to
> IP layer it uses underneath.

I never tested it with ipv6 but looking at java internals that I used
and it accepts host as
specified in RFC 2732 or RFC 2373.
It looks that it should work out of the box.

> Could you please elaborate on why do you think that we break backward
> compatibility.

I suggested to add Address type which would hold both address types so we
could use it in many places. This change would break backward compatibility.

> If you compare the wiki to vdsmapi-schema.json file, looks like the last
> isn't updated for some time and needs to be updated according to the actual
> code.

Type extension would not break backward compatibility but it would introduce
bunch of optional parameters. I think we could do better.

> We add dhcpv6 in order to allow user to configure v6 stack independently
> from v4 one. That could be useful especially in a transition period, when a
> user have fully configured ipv4 and would like to try using ipv6 and he
> hasn't configured his DHCP server for v6 yet.

I would add that to new address type. What do you think?